Thursday, June 14, 2012

Exercise


About year ago, I found another great tool to add to the toolbox that is my exercise equipment.  I have long been a fan of kettlebells and after doing a lot of work with Circular Strength Training pin the form of TACFIT and various other stuff, I stumbled on to the Clubbell.  My first foray into this world was with a pair of 15 pounders.  They were deceptively heavy.  Because the weight is all on one end and opposite from where the handle is, it makes it seem heavier.  I sought out a trainer, Shane Heins, within the large world of CST and quickly downloaded some of his programs.  
My first program I tried was Clubbell Mass Evolution.  Let me tell you this program is a beast.  It is quite possibly one of the best programs to build lean muscle.  You have to get past the idea that you won't be doing any bench presses or dumbbell curls.  Using the clubbell is like a breath of fresh air.  The whole idea of CST and the clubbell is that you move in 6 Degrees of Freedom, so why do we only work out in linear movements.  From there and just prior to my deployment, I downloaded his next program called Clubbell Hero Evolution.  This was an outstanding program as well that I used for the first three months on my deployment while underway.  I no doubt got odd looks from people walking by me while I was working out in the hangar bay, and a few would stop and ask me what were these things I was swinging.  At first, I thought nothing of it, but soon, it was akin to people asking if you like to wear FiveFingers.  The sarcastic in me, would always have a great reply to this question, but I kept my tongue at bay and always answered as kindly as I could.  Now upon my return from deployment, Shane has released a very comprehensive and robust program, the Clubbell Flow Evolution, that will take a long while before I will need another program.  This one is broken down into three different programs.  The first is all about mobility and uses a lighter clubbell.  The second is for endurance where you use double clubbells.  And the final program is for strength using a single heavy clubbell.  Each program is broken down to last months on their own.  There is a very well written review here by John Sifferman and the below video is him doing a flow from the strength cycle.  This post is not meant to be a review or a promotion really of the clubbell or CST or anything along those lines, really more just a foreshadowing of future posts that have to with working out and the clubbell.  It has become my go-to tool for getting a great workout and even my wife, who hasn’t ever been a fan of training with weights is loving working out with the Clubbell Flow Evolution.  She has been using a pair of 5 pounders and has found them to give a great workout.  Leave any comments if you have any questions, and I will be sure to point you in the right direction.  

No comments: